An introduction to Refugee Action York.
Refugee Action York (RAY) was founded in 2002 to challenge myths and misconceptions about refugees and asylum seekers and to raise awareness of the contribution refugees and asylum seekers make to our society.
RAY works with and for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants in and around the City of York. Since it was founded RAY’s work has expanded considerably and now includes:
- Running a weekly Sunday session (The Hub) for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants at Clifton Children’s Centre where we providing English language classes for adults, an information and support service, regular talks and advice sessions from a wide range York services and organisations, Turkish language classes for young Turkish speaking people, Key Stage 1 maths sessions and a range of activities for young people and adults
- Running a weekly youth group, 4Corners, for teenagers from minority ethnic backgrounds
- Outreach with and for the asylum, refugee and migrant community in the City of York
- Campaigning on behalf of local asylum seeking individuals and families and who are under threat of detention and deportation
- Organising the annual Refugee Week as part of a national and international awareness raising campaign
- Events during and outside Refugee Week such as: information stalls in York city centre, film evenings at the City Screen, comedy evenings, exhibitions and panel debates with a range speakers
If you want to access any of RAY's services or would like to refer an individual or family to us please get in touch through our contact page. New service users are very welcome to turn up at any of our sessions but if you let us know before you come the first time we can make sure any services you need are available.
RAY is always keen to hear from people interested in volunteering with us. We have a wide range of roles available including: organising the kitchen at The Hub, running craft session with children, teaching English to adults, working as part of the information and support team and helping out at our youth group, 4Corners, and offer an induction and training programme for new volunteers so no previous experience is needed. At the moment we are also looking for people interested in joining our trustee board. We are especially looking for people with previous experience of the voluntary sector and/or of working with refugees, asylum seekers and migrants. If any of this interests you then please do get in touch.
RAY is dependent on voluntary donations for its work and a printable Gift Aid form can be found here. If you would like to make a donation to our hardship fund for destitute service users, please click here. If you would like to find out more about the work we do or make a donation please email email@example.com
Registered Charity No. 1154065
PATRON: Baroness Afshar of Heslington